Tip of the Month
Very often, but especially in winter, we start off walking with minimal layers (“Be bold, start cold”) but perhaps need to wear our waterproof jacket if it’s raining, snowing or very windy.
However, when we either reach the foot of our climb, or find ourselves further up the mountain, then we need to put on an extra layer underneath our waterproof jacket. For the uninitiated, what then follows is a great flap-fest as the jacket comes off, nearly gets blown away in the wind, and then once the extra warm layer is on, a further struggle to get the jacket back on despite the wind’s attempts to prevent this.
Next time you find yourself in this situation, try this tip. Don’t remove your waterproof jacket, but unzip it nearly all the way, then carefully take your arms out and let the jacket hand from your waist. This is a little like removing the top part of a wetsuit. Then quickly put on the new war layer, and simply roll-up the jacket once more, slipping your arms in and doing up the front zip. It’s much quicker, easier and you are less likely to lose something!
Quote of the Month
“One thing to remember on the Eiger, never look up, or you may need a plastic surgeon.”
Route of the Month
Tomorrow I’m off out climbing again and, with a bit of luck, might get a chance to climb Deep Cut Chimney (IV, 5, ***). As the name suggests, this classic route from the famous book ‘Cold Climbs’. The name says it all, a chimney that is cut deeply into the cliff, that you disappear inside and hope to emerge at the top later in the day!
Photo of the Month
A stunning day climbing in the Cairngorms, with Loch Morlich in the distance.
- 23-26 March 2018. A four-day introduction to winter mountain walking and mountaineering, covering all the basics for novices or those with limited experience of using an ice axe and crampons. Deadline for booking is Mon 26 Feb.
- 7-8 April 2018. Two-day mountain navigation course based in North Wales. Everything you need to know to get you up, and down, the mountain safely.
- 14-15 April 2018. Advanced scrambling course in North Wales, tackling some of the classic Grade 2 and Grade 3 routes. Fully booked but I can schedule further similar courses.
- 22 April 2018. Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge Walk.
- 5-6 May 2018. Rock climbing for beginners, in the Peak District.
Download this newsletter as a PDF (below)