Tip of the Month
Over the last month I’ve spent quite a lot of time supervising DofE groups. As one friend said to me: “Supervising DofE? Is that where you sit in cafes and watch teenagers with huge rucksacks walk up hills?”. Well, that’s partly true, and what is also true is that it means I’ve spent an uncharacteristic amount of time under canvas.
This tip hasn’t really come into play much this month, given the amount of dry weather we’ve been having. But it certainly makes a difference in the wetter months.
What do you do when it comes to packing up your tent from a wild-camp after it’s been raining, and you still have more nights to go? Often this means packing up a wet tent and getting the inner of the tent wet, potentially along with anything else in the rucksack.
However, try this. Have two different colour-coded dry-bags, one for the fly sheet and one for the inner, then pack each piece separately into its own drybag. At the next campsite, voilà, a dry inner tent!
Quote of the Month
“There are only three sports: bull-fighting, motor-racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
Route of the Month
Having been in the Peak District a lot recently, I have a suggested route for you that’s not that hard in the big scheme of things, but is a tasty challenge for anyone cutting their teeth on gritstone climbs. Delicate and balancy, and with only ‘slopers’ for handholds, try the classic route Hargreaves’ Original (Very Severe, 4c, 3-Stars). It has a very “out there” feeling to it!
Photo of the Month
Forget Poldark! This is what the Cornish coast is really about!
- 21-22 July 2018. Introduction to Multi-Pitch Rock-Climbing.(Snowdonia).Fully booked.
- 23 July Top-rope rigging courses (Peak District) – aimed at helping you take your friends climbing, safely. Fully booked.
- 28-29 July 2018. Advanced Scrambling, Grade 2-3 (Snowdonia). Fully booked.
- 30-31 July Trad climbing problem-solving and self-rescue. One place remaining.
- 1-3 August 2018. Choice of 3 courses – rock climbing for beginners, or improvers; or scrambling.
- August 2018. Flexible dates – Curved Ridge on Buchaille Etive Mor and Ben Nevis via Tower Ridge.
- 11-12 August 2018. All-Round Mountaineering Course – navigation and scrambling.
- Winter 2018-19. Now taking bookings for all courses.
Download this newsletter as a PDF (below)