Tip of the Month
This is a combination of a book recommendation or review and a tip.
A few weeks ago, John Kettle, a well-known Lake District-based climbing coach, released his new book Rock Climbing Technique. The book focuses on what constitutes efficient and effective climbing movement and contains numerous exercises to help drill those movements into your climbing. The book is accompanied by a series of video clips (online) so that you can see visually what the book is explaining. I have been taking it to the climbing wall with me and working my way through the exercises – and then trying to ensure that I continue to climb using those techniques.
So, this month’s tip – go and buy John’s book and start to follow the exercises.
PS – I have no financial interest in John’s book and am not on commission! 😉
Quote of the Month
“Good climbing and good company often go together: each is essential to the enjoyment of the other.”
Route of the Month
Recently I have been running a number of scrambling courses in the Lake District, and this has given me the opportunity to tick off a few classics that I hadn’t done before.
One such route was Cam Crag Ridge (Grade 1, 3-star) in Langstrath, which had escaped me so far. It’s a very obvious line on superb, clean rock and with stunning views below (see photo). The approach through Langstrath is also a lovely walk, taking you to a perfect spot for a bit of wild-swimming.
Photo of the Month
Here’s a photo of Cam Crag Ridge, this month’s Route of the Month.
- 3-4 November Mountain Navigation Course.
- 25-26November 2018. Advanced level Mountain Navigation Course, including ‘Contour Masterclass’.
- November-December 2018 – Indoor climbing courses in Leeds – Introduction, Improver and Learning to Lead.
- Winter 2018-19. Now taking bookings for all courses, including:
- 18-21 January 2019. Introduction to Winter Mountaineering (Cairngorms).
- 8-11 February 2019. Introduction to Winter Mountaineering (Cairngorms).
- 16-17 February 2019. Introduction to Winter Mountaineering (Ben Nevis).
Download this newsletter as a PDF (below)