Who is the course for?
NNAS Bronze courses are for anyone and everyone, especially those who are nervous about navigation or find it confusing.
Where is it held?
We generally run our NNAS courses in the Yorkshire Dales.
How long is the course?
Courses are two days long, and contain an element of assessment.
What does the course cover?
This course follows the NNAS syllabus and learning progression, and is aimed at making you a competent navigator on tracks and using other linear ‘handrail’ features. This includes topics such as:
- Maps and scales
- Orientating the map
- Understanding your ‘journey’
- Understanding contours
- Measuring distances on the map and on the ground
- Using the compass for general direction and rough bearings
- Simple navigational strategies
- Basic relocation strategies – what to do if you are lost
What equipment is included?
You will need to provide: warm clothing including a waterproof jacket; walking boots; and a rucksack of about 30 litres. Depending on your level of experience, you might already own a compass.
We will provide maps and compasses.
We will discuss an appropriate kit list when you book.