- This event has passed.
Beginners’ Navigation Course (1-day)
March 29 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This one-day beginners’ navigation and map-reading course will take place on the moors close to Ilkley.
This course is for the complete beginner, or those who struggle with navigation and find it confusing or difficult. Depending on your level of knowledge the course will cover topics such as:
- Orientating the map and identifying land features (large and small)
- Understanding your ‘journey’
- Interpreting contours
- Measuring distances on the map and on the ground
- Using the compass for general direction and rough bearings
- Simple navigational strategies
- Basic relocation strategies – what to do if you are lost
Maps and compasses will be provided. You just need to bring suitable clothes and a packed lunch.
Get in touch to book a place.
If you’d like some beginners’ navigation tips before the course, then read our navigation and map-reading tips article.