- This event has passed.
Winter Skills Course – 1-Day – Lake District or Snowdonia (‘Open’ course)
15th December 2022 @ 9:55 am£75.00
A ‘winter skills course’ is perfect for those with a reasonable amount of prior summer mountain walking experience, who want to be able to access the mountains safely in winter. You need to be a fit mountain walker capable of walking long mountain days carrying a moderately heavy rucksack and be accustomed to dealing with poor weather conditions.
Depending on your needs, the course usually covers topics such as:-
- The additional benefits and risks associated with winter mountain walking
- Understanding the winter mountain environment and weather
- Clothing and equipment for the winter mountains – what to wear and carry
- Avalanche awareness and safe route planning
- Winter navigation – important differences to summer
- Use of winter equipment – boots, ice axe and crampons
- Dealing with emergencies – equipment, procedures and improvised shelters
- Judgement and decision-making
These courses are available in the Lake District or Eryri (Snowdonia), depending on availability.
(Subject to minimum numbers)